Monday, September 19, 2011

Lord, help me be strong...

Okay, so this post is probably going to end up with me coming across as mean and judgemental.  And yet, I'm still going to post it.  Why?  Because I'm trying to be real here.  And because, heck, why not still post it.  I'm thinking it, so I'm already mean and judgemental.  I might as well share it with the world.

We have a co-op student where I work.  Because I was on vacation, I had yet to work with her until today.  And boy, I don't know how this is going to work for the next several months.  I think she's probably a lovely girl.  But there's something... well, special about her.  Apparently she's a little bit deaf.  (Only a little bit?)  And apparently she's also got some sight issues.  And well.  Like I said, a little bit special.

She talks to loud on the phone.  And she talks too loud in general.  And yes, that can be chalked up to the deafness.  And she just tries to hard.  It's probably a case of wanting to be a part of the group, because she's not been readily accepted, but it's really just distinguishing her even more.  And I feel horrible about it.

But really, what can I do?  There are only so many annoying habits that a person can have in a small office, without being really, really annoying.  And so, at the moment, I'm just biting my tongue, and rolling my eyes to myself (and occasionally to my coworker also.)  And vowing to give her small tips in a constructive way.  Things that might help the months go by a little more smoothly. 

This is one of those trying moments.  And whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?  So, this will be a good lesson in tolerance, and acceptance.

No comments: