Thursday, December 31, 2015

Another year past...

It's been far too long since I last posted.  And I actually have things to tell, but since it's twenty minutes to the new year, I'll keep it short.  I've made some changes in my life and had some changes happen.

Thankfully nothing bad for me specifically, and nothing that's exceptionally noteworthy for anyone except those very close to me, but things that have hugely affected my outlook on life, making the final 40 or so pages of my 2015 book and different story than I started at the beginning.

Hopefully I can take those changes and run with them in 2016 and write a more exciting story than I've had in the past few years.  But to begin, let's recap the things that helped leave 2015 on a good note.


Starting last July I self-motivated.  I made a jar full of motivational phrases that meant something to me.  Every day I pulled a new statement out of the jar, and posted it on a piece of bristol board where I'd have to see it every day.  It seemed to work.  I started feeling more confident, believing that life could change, and that everything gets better.  Maybe even being more positive.

Which leads to the next thing.  I got out of Aylmer.  I got a great new job that I love so far, though it's only been about a month and a half.  I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm still awake.  My coworkers are awesome, and were so welcoming when I started.  It's a definite family feeling there, which I had in Aylmer, but the overall atmosphere is so much more positive that it makes all the difference.  I feel valued, and I'm in a place where the work that we're doing is of value and is making a difference in the greater scheme of the world - we're doing something good which is awesome karma - and so I feel a lot more fulfilled in life.  I'm more challenged because everything is still at least sort of new and life is better.

I'm still going to the gym.  There's been minimal weight loss, but I feel good about the habit that's been formed, and I keep going.  I need to push myself harder, try new things, and by doing that make a bigger effort and then I'll see some more results.  That's one of my resolutions or goals for the new year.

The other goal for the year is to write on a regular basis.  The end goal is to write daily but I recognize that might not be realistic so I want to write at least weekly.  And try to for daily.  I'm going to keep a blog for what I'm writing too, but I probably won't make it public.  We'll see how the writing goes.

I'm also going to challenge myself to do a better job at being tidy.  I need to organize my space to keep myself more mentally and even, yes, spiritually, organized.  I feel better when things are more tidy, and so that is a goal.

I don't like to call things resolutions because that challenges me to break them.  I just want to have goals.  Things that are achievable, and things that will in some way improve my self.  Maybe not outwardly, but may make me more satisfied with my life and my efforts at life.

Of course, I also have my standard goal of continuing to read, and probably expanding what I read, but I keep track of that on goodreads and shelfari if you want to keep track of it with me, or if you want to join in the reading fun.  (Yes, I'm a dork, deal with it. I enjoy reading.)

And I think that effectively says everything that I want to say as a wrap up to the year for me.  My new year began back in November really, when I got the new job, and so this is just another day.  Life shouldn't be expected to change because the date changes; it should change when change happens.

No comments: