Friday, November 4, 2011

Music is life...

Not really mine, but I certainly wish it was.

Went to see Nick Carter live on his "I'm Taking Off" tour at the Mississauga Living Arts Centre.  Not a place I generally think of for a concert, but it worked out really nicely actually.  The accoustics were pretty good, and it felt so much more intimate than an actual concert venue.  This was more like a theatre.

I like sometimes to sit back and muse about artists I've been following and why I've continued to do that.  And more often than not, that musing revolves around Nick Carter, since Backstreet Boys have been a segment of my life for a number of years now.  It's unusual to look at the Nick of today, and realize how young he was when I started paying attention to BSB.  And it's been a good transition.  It's fun to look back.  There've been bumps of course, but I've never not liked them, as a group, and I haven't ever gone through the stage of being bored by them.  I appreciate the solo efforts when they come, but I'm always a bit happier to see them together as a unit.  I don't know why.  There's just something about the melding of the voices.

Nick sang Larger than Life during his set, and I found it very amusing that he sings that song the same way that a fan sings it.  It's almost as if he's mimicking the missing 3 (or 4) voices, instead of singing each section as if he'd always done it.  It's endearing.  And makes me think about how odd it must feel to sing the other 3 (or 4) parts of a song that you usually don't sing.  It's interesting.

Shawn Desman opened the show, and since he wrote the Canadian bonus track "Love Can't Wait" with Nick, I think it's safe to say that I'm not the only person who was disappointed when that song didn't make the set list.

Setlist:
1. I'm Taking Off,
2. Blow Your Mind
3. Not The Other Guy
4. I Got You
5. Special
6. Nothing Left To Lose
7. The Great Divide
8. Do I Have To Cry For You (remixed)
9. So Far Away
10. Larger Than Life
11. Just One Kiss
12. Falling Down
13. Incomplete
14. Burning Up

Since Love Can't Wait wasn't included, I'm posting the video to conclude this post.  With one final word.
Pretty.

No comments: