Thursday, February 24, 2011

My 14 year old self...

Someone asked the question today, if you had 3 minutes to talk to your 14-year-old self, what would you tell her?

I didn't really have to think very hard about it. I know exactly what I'd tell her. But I also know that she wouldn't listen to me, because I had to learn this lesson through the experiences later in life.

I'd tell her not to care about what other people said or thought about her. To be herself. Because by being the person she thought people wanted her to be, she lost herself. And it took a while to get that person back. And it's still a work in progress, some twenty years later.

But I know, that's part of the process of life, right? And the things you go through are what make you who you are, and every thing changed makes something else different. So, maybe if I were able to give her that advice, everything would be completely different. And not necessarily in a way that would be better.

No comments: